Friday, July 18, 2008

Bea Green Blogorama!



I was hoping to roll out a new product today and thusly a giveaway, but I've had *two* family issues this week (the more serious one this morning) so this post will just be about bea-ing green. :) Incidentally, just to be clear, not every Bea Green Blogorama will involve a giveaway. This meme is about green topics, not stuff :D But I like giveaways, so chances are you'll see them more often than not :D You may even see them randomly...hee hee :D

My tip and challenge for being green today is to consider how much waste you make, and take a baby step toward reducing your waste.

One thing my family has done for a long time now is to use cloth napkins. The mildly-to-barely "dirty" ones can be reused, and the really soiled ones go in with our towels, but I find they don't add a lot of bulk to our regular wash. We don't use paper napkins at all, and only very rarely do we use paper towels. I generally don't keep them in the house, so I've had to be creative with things like draining meat and bacon grease :)

For those kinds of jobs, I use the thin dishcloth towels that are often referred to as "Flour Sacks" or cheesecloth. Then, I wait til the grease is cooled and scrape what I can into the garbage. What I can't scrape off, I wash the towel in very hot water with a generous amount of soap. The soap ensures that the grease is encapsulated and not going to clog your drains (plus it should be a small amount). Also, if you use cheesecloth, you can also save it in the fridge or freezer and use it to grease pans for things like stir fry. Ok, not the healthiest oil for sure, but I'm just sayin'. ;)

So tell me, how do you reduce waste? What's a baby step you can take? How are you bea-ing green? :D

4 comments:

Kirstin said...

This should be fun! I'm on a learning journey and know I'm not close to being as green as others, or, but it's fun to learn new things, and progressively change things in our lives. Thanks for the blogorama, tips and those super cute bags. I hope to purchase one soon.

Rebekah Costello said...

Cloth wipes! SO easy to make and i use them for everything from baby bottoms to dusting.

Lisa said...

Outside of the blog world I'm a photographer and I have a wedding to shoot tomorrow (my first, ah!) but I will post on this ASAP!

Also I use cloth napkins as well. :)

The DiLu-Fam said...

Our house is carpet free, so we use a swiffer mop. We purchased rags (used for cleaning cars) and use those instead of creating more waste and spending more money! I just throw them in the laundry with my other rags!