I knew she wanted a bag from me, which would make an excellent gift in and of itself. Especially as more cities and states and countries are moving toward limiting, taxing, fining, or banning plastic and/or paper grocery bags, the gift of a Bumble Bea Green market tote or three is an excellent choice for the savvy giver. Green, beautiful, and rather multi-purpose, a market tote is sure to score.
Of course, she is my sister, and I can't just stop at one thing. Oh no. I'm the type of person who likes to give theme gifts. Last Christmas, I made several family members cry--in a good way--with a thoughtful gift. That Christmas will be hard to top, heh. Anyways, I knew that for her gift I wanted to give her things that were ordinary and yet so often overlooked. Things like, the little touches that make a house a home.
So I scoured Etsy for something unique, handmade, and yet ordinary. I found a refreshing "bath tea infusion" from Ollie Baby. My sister works a very physical job, and I knew it would be the perfect tool to help her soak away those sore muscles in her antique claw-foot tub. One thing that is fun to have are pretty magnets. So I consulted one of my favorite Etsy shops, Washi by Maoiliosa, for a perfect set of lovely pink magnets to grace her antique fridge. Finally, I wanted to add one more personal touch to her house. Having added a bit of relaxation and heavenly scent in the bathroom and a glimpse of her pink-obsessed personality in the kitchen, I decided to go with a set of coasters from RuBee Designs that reflected her shopping obsession (especially with shoes and purses!). Perfect! Now all I needed to do was put it together!
Another great use for my totes is using them as gift bags. These items, however, were small and fragile. So I thought I could just wrap it all together, but that wasn't a fun and eco-friendly idea. Then I thought...what if I use the bag to wrap it up?
Here are my carefully chosen and handmade-by me and others--items

A close up of the goodies I bought

I carefully placed all the items inside, putting the coasters more on one side and the other items on the other side

Then folded the bag up around the items

I folded the bag in half, and used the straps to secure it. VoilĂ !

Green, handmade, beautiful, meaningful, unique gift that wrapped and even padded itself. How awesome is that? :D

3 comments:
what a great idea to use one of your totes to wrap everything all up in! :D
i hope she loves the magnets!
She did love it, actually. She was very excited about the magnets. They didn't have any at all, so she loved it for that factor, but also she really liked the ones I chose and thought they were interesting and unique. So huzzah!
What a great idea! You inspire me.
Post a Comment