Sunday, June 15, 2008

Why Etsy?

When I decided to open up my ideas and handiwork to a world-wide audience, I thought long and hard about how I would present my adventure--how I would protect it and put its best foot bravely forward. Buy my own .com? eBay? a pre-made storefront? Craigslist?

After sorting through these ideas, the one venue that stayed consistently at the top of the list was Etsy. I decided to open my shop through Etsy for many reasons, some of which I will share with you:

1. Ease of Use
Etsy is easy to use for both me, as a seller, and you, as a buyer. It offers many protections and options for me, there is no monthly maintenance fee--only a small listing fee and a small percentage of profit. It offers many protections and options for buyers as well. In some ways, it's basically eBay for handmade items, and in other ways, it's not. Just like eBay, I list items for sale and you choose items to buy. Again, small listing fee for me, no fees for you. Just like eBay, you need an account to use its services whether a buyer or a seller. Unlike eBay, my listings don't expire after a short amount of time (incurring more costs to relist) and while they are not up for auction, I haven't marked up a "buy it now" price in hope that someone will really want or need it and just click that "buy it now" button rather than waiting for an auction. And unlike eBay, Etsy is a community...more about that later. Bottom line-the buying and selling process on Etsy is easy, affordable, and safe.

2. Etsy is comprised of men and women passionately pursuing their talents
If you've got it, USE it! I am someone who believes in the beauty of art and the power of creation. I believe in music programs and museums. And I love that there is a place for someone to pursue their art or their handiwork at their own pace, in their own style, as much or as little as they want. Whether taking a fun hobby and occasionally offering the fruits of that labor for a little extra cash or a more serious bread-winning endeavor, I like that I am supporting an entity that enables those people without being greedy.

3. Etsy is more than a website; it is a community
When I list an item in my shop or buy an item from someone else, I feel good that I am putting my money and effort where my mouth is. I firmly believe in local economies and supporting them as well as supporting cottage industries. For stay-at-home moms like me, I may not be in it to get rich and famous, but it's nice to have that extra bit to ease the pressure on the breadwinner--even if it's just enough for some gas and an ice cream treat. I am becoming very picky about what I buy and where I buy it from, so buying something from a fellow seller is a real boon. I'd rather buy a hand-made coaster from someone who makes coasters because she loves it and is talented at it than buy a coaster made in a sweatshop in a third-world country. I believe in fair trade; you couldn't trade fairer than putting the money directly in the hands of the artisan as Etsy has done.

So there you have it. Locally, you may find me in a farmers market. Always, you will find me at bumblebeagreen@gmail.com and online, you will find my home at http://bumblebeagreen.etsy.com :)

No comments: